Nodes remain after deletion

Continuing the discussion from Some bugs I’ve found:

I’m putting this into our issue tracker. Do you know a reliable set of steps to make this happen? Any ideas as to when it might show up (deleting a certain kind of node, when linked or unlinked)?

It’s happened multiple times to blocker and multiplier nodes, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t happen to others.
I think it may have to do with the speed of deletion. Try quickly removing many nodes in sequence, that might trigger the bug.

Basically this; remove 10 nodes quickly, and one will remain on board most of the time.

Recently, I tested this issue by quickly adding and removing 81 nodes of all types, including roots and port keys, on a 9×9 board. 6 replicators and a root node remained on board, then disappeared upon testing.

That doesn’t mean that it can’t happen to the other types of nodes, these are just confirmed to be affected by the glitch.

I believe that this issue has been resolved in release 0.5.0.

The fundamental issue turned out to be how the client deleted linked nodes (buffers and flipflops). If you deleted multiple linked nodes and then tried to delete the nodes they were formerly linked to, behavior was erratic and sometimes resulted in these “ghost” nodes that disappeared on testing.

If you run into any other issues where nodes stick around after deleting them, please make a new topic with the details.