Should I trust this anonymous tip?

I just got a message from someone calling themselves “Mahodara,” who claims to work for Samsara Digital and has information on that Laurie Wu case that some of us have been looking into recently. He or she wants my security intrusion skills to find out the truth, allegedly.

Thing is, I’m not entirely sure that Samsara would be above sending out undercover agents to sow misinformation, or even to lead hackers into some elaborate technological trap.

Think I should take the job, or at least play along for a while and look for any suspicious signs?

I have also talked to this person and I’m still suspicious, but it’s a good chance to get some more info about Laurie.

Okay, after going through a long trip to the Tigre Luminoso servers (as someone very sympathetic to the causes they believed in, it was downright heartbreaking reading about their fall from grace), I was told that Laurie Wu was picked up and taken to her “final destination.”

Now, both Mahodara and this guy Luis (I have a hunch they are one and the same, but I try not to make assumptions) assume this means she’s dead, but the wording seems more ambiguous to me, especially considering that TL don’t exactly seem like the mealy-mouthed types.

I’ll keep my ear to the ground, looking for more info. I have a feeling this isn’t the end of this trail…

Welp, I may have been half-right about Wu being alive. If this isn’t some weird hoax, someone may have finally succeeded in making tech that can upload a brain, or part of one, onto the internet. I shudder to think of what will happen when the AI cultists find out about this.

Anyone know how to crack a decryption key on video files? I have some police bodycam footage I want to look at.

Hmm… does sk3tch know anything about this? Does he have anything to say?

If my impression of this thread is correct, you guys already have this job handled, so I’ll put it on hold until further notice.

You guys seem to have more info than we do. I refused Mahodara and worked with KernelPop. KernelPop thinks Laurie is dead, even though the last piece of evidence we found was semi-gossip between a loyal Samsaran and a perceptive skeptic.

We have not found any interesting secrets from this case yet. Why is so much political power being used to cover up a simple hit? It takes a lot to get the presses to shut up, and blame can be diverted if a scandal breaks out. Why doesn’t the government do that instead?

I’ve also talked to Luis, he told me he thinks Wu is dead too.

So. I don’t want to talk too much about this one. Both “Mahodara” and “Wu” clearly want to keep their circumstances hidden. And I’m in the practice of keeping confidences. You all trust me to keep what I know about you quiet, and so I’m going to keep pretty quiet about everyone else, too. :triumph:

Here’s what I’m willing to say:

“Mahodara” is on the wrong side, but everything I’ve seen of him suggests that his heart is in the right place. It’s not a question of whether you trust him, but whether you think he’s even in a position to do any real good.

As for “Wu…” They’re clearly not being up-front about stuff. Not being totally honest. But from what I’ve seen, they’re only hiding the truth to protect themself. I don’t think they’d betray you.

That’s just my opinion, though. Keep working on this yourself and you might come to a different conclusion. And don’t be afraid to contact them directly; they both have accounts that can take PMs on this board, although I’ve done my best to make sure they can’t read anything. :guardsman:

1 Like